How to set up a proxy server on Linux
On Linux, a proxy server can be connected by entering new settings into the terminal. Below we will analyze in detail what data you need to enter into the command line to configure the proxy properly. We will take Kali Linux as a basis, but the principle of setting up an intermediary server will be identical on all versions of this operating system.
Setting up a Linux proxy: step-by-step instructions
To set up a proxy server on Linux, you need to follow these steps:
- Open a terminal.
- Enter the phrase "sudo apt-get install git gcc" (without quotes) there and press "Enter". In the future, press the "Enter" key after entering each new command.
- Write " sudo apt-get remove proxychains " to remove the old data.
- Enter “ git clone https://github.com/rof10r/proxychains-ng.git ” to copy the parameters you want.
- Change to the copied folder by entering: " cd proxychains-ng ".
- 6. Add "./configure --prefix = / usr --sysconfdir = / etc ".
- Enter the command in the console « Make ».
- Then: « sudo make install ».
- To install a proxy on Linux, you will need to wait a while until the required data is loaded.
- After the installation is complete, enter « sudo make install-config ».
- Write « cd » in.
- We have finished with the installation, now we need to configure the Linux proxy server. To do this, let's start editing the file with proxy chain configurations in notepad. Enter «leafpad /etc/proxychains.conf ».
- After opening the notebook, scroll down to the "ProxyList" section. Put the "#" symbol before the bottom line. It shouldn't be there by default.
- Now you need a proxy server.
When choosing a proxy, try to avoid transparent servers. They will not provide you with anonymity when surfing the Internet, as they do not hide your real IP address.
If you have already selected proxy servers, then all that remains is to add them to the database. To do this, write the following phrase in an open notebook:
" Http 188.8.131.52 8080 ".
The first number is the IP of your proxy, the second is its port. Make skips of such a plan by pressing the "Tab" button.
- Close the file and save the changes.
- Now you can run any required application that has access to the Internet through a proxy server. To do this, you need to enter the phrase " proxychains4 " before the command to call the program in the console.
For example, to launch the Firefox browser through a proxy on your computer, you need to enter the following phrase: " proxychains4 firefox ".
You can find out the current IP address of the proxy server in use by entering the phrase:
" Proxychains4 wget -qO- eth0.me ".
The setup is complete! Now you can use a proxy server on Linux to increase anonymity, protect against various types of network attacks, and solve many other problems.